Object of the Country

 


  Monastery church (Kaiserdom) in Königslutter, Germany

 

 

The former Benedictine monastery was founded in 1135
by the Emperor Lothar II.

The church is famous for its stone sculptures at the apse
by an artist who came from upper Italy shortly after the foundation.

 

 

 

 

 

The interior of the church is decorated today with late 19th century wall paintings.

After medieval wall paintings were found and uncovered from 1887-89
the interior was completely repainted during a drastic renovation
campaign under the direction of August Essenwein

Since the 1980s the paintings have been examined, documented and
saved by the Preservation Office of the state of Lower Saxony.

  click images to enlarge

View of the church from the cloister to the west towers.

View of the choir, decorated with paintings by Adolf Quensen in 1887-89  (photo 1994, © Deutsches Bergbaumuseum Bochum).

Details of the painting today: paintings of Emperor Lothair II and Richenza of Northeim on crossing piers.Detail of wall paintings before the latest restoration.